Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

summer salmon with strawberries

In Alaska, we are so spoiled with some of the best seafood ever. When the Copper River red salmons start coming in fresh, I am always excited (true sign of summer season here).


The other night, we went to the store for chicken to throw on the grill....until we saw the fresh salmon. David said to me "lets do something new and exciting". Alright....a summer inspired salmon dish...mmm fresh strawberries....I had an idea! (I was experimenting so I have no exact measurements, but you should still try it)


Here is what I did: First I sprayed a large piece of aluminum foil and placed the clean salmon fillet on it skin side down. Seasoned the fish with salt and pepper. Then, I diced about a quarter of a sweet onion and a handful of those tiny strawberries. Spread those over the top of the salmon along with a splash of apple cider vinegar, a few dashes of balsamic vinegar, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.


Roll the foil up around the salmon to create a small pouch. Put this on the low preheated grill.


About 15 minutes later I went to check on it, it smelled soooo good already, but I left it on there for about 10 more minutes (keep checking it though).


When the salmon starts to flake like the picture above, it is done. (I know the strawberries lost most their color to the steaming liquid, but they still tasted amazing!)


I served it with rice pilaf and a fresh salad with balsamic dressing. David said it was exactly what he meant by "new and exciting" and couldn't have even suggested anything to make it better. :)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.