Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies


The other day, I was strolling through Walmart. I was in the baking isle when I came across Andes Mint Baking Chips. I thought what a great idea! Mint chocolate chip cookies sound delish and my husband always loves the little Andes Mints at restaurants! I will make him the best cookies he has ever had.


So here's what I did:


I like to make things as simple as possible when baking. So, I get all my ingredients ready before I start mixing.
(AKA Mise en Place = everything in place) 

I mix my dry ingredients in one bowl and set to the side.
Then I cream the butter and sugar together until there are no lumps of butter in the mixture.
"lumps of butter" sounds super appetizing, right?


Start adding your liquids (eggs and vanilla), beat until blended and smooth.


Add your dry ingredients until almost all the way blended.
The reason I do this is because you still have the chips to add and you'll be mixing those in. This will help to not over mix.

over mixing = tough cookies


Add the chips.
I added the whole bag of Andes Mint chips and about a cup of semi sweet chocolate chips.


I'm sure everyone knows this little tidbit of information, but just in case you do not:
You want to make perfectly round cookies?
Come on...you know you do....I can't possibly be the only one that wants them to be all uniform. Maybe I am though...
Anyway, use a metal cookie scoop! Like an ice cream scoop but smaller. Use the side of the bowl to scrape off extra.
You could definitely use an actual ice cream scoop buuut I wouldn't recommend it.  
Scoop onto lightly greased pan.


Voila!
Perfectly shaped, evenly sized cookie dough balls...
what else would you call them? They aren't officially cookies yet, until they are baked.


Bake for 9-11 minutes depending on your oven.



Mmmm....
Now, I do not looove adding food coloring where not needed. I could have added green to this dough with the liquids to make them look like mint cookies. I chose not to this time, but might in the future. :)

Enjoy!






Here is the actual recipe:

1 cup butter (softened)
1 granulated white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 (10 oz) bag of Andes Mint Chips
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars
Mix in egg and vanilla mixture
Add dry ingredients till almost mixed
Add chips
Scoop on to lightly greased cookie sheet
Bake @ 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes (till the bottoms are browning lightly)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think.